Saturday 9 June 2007

Writing Competition- The Sun

He stretched out a tentative finger and slowly caressed the golden, glowing ball.

---

“My god, Parker! What's happening?”

“I don't know, but it's definitely not an eclipse!”

“Oh god. Oh god, god...”

Parker grimaced at his worshipping colleague. “A curiously apt exclamation, Richards. Come see this...” The two astronomers huddled round the blurred printout.

“It looks like...”

“A hand. I know.”

All around the world, the astronomers, crouched condescendingly in their mushroom-shaped domes, were having the same conversation. Meanwhile, a worryingly real drama unfolded amongst the populace.

---

Jubilation painted itself on his youthful face as he grabbed its fiery incandescence.

---

“Cor blimey! My cabbages! They're wilting!”

“A, lalalalala, mon dieu! My strawberries!”

“Mamma mia! Look at my grapes!”

“?Que pasa? O, my melons, NOOOOOOO!”


The world was about to suffer a major food dilemma.

---

Squeals of child-like pleasure echoed as the warm ball jittered in the chubby hands.


The Earth was in for it now.


Up the ball flew, down again. Up, down. Up, down. Still emitting its comforting radiance, it partook unwillingly of the child's innocent game.

---

Major international crisis. Along trundled the eternal human query...


“What now?”



I actually quite like this, but it's very unpolished and doesn't flow. It's a bit juddering, and I hope to clear it up sometime...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't like "crouched condescendingly". Crouching is not something I'd picture as condescending, it seems more wimpy/weak to me.

I also don't care for the dialouge with the cabbages/grapes/etc. Seems like every sentence is a repeat of the first only with a random word in a different languages. It might all work better without dialouge.

I'm not entirely sure what the yellow ball parts meant. I'm going back and forth between some kind of "God" type figure killing the sun and just some little kid playing with a ball, while everyone else is freaking out.

Best line: "The Earth was in for it now."